I wanted to show a few of the updated pages from the Autumn altered book I began last year.
Go here for the original post.
Part II, here.
Not a huge amount of progress, but some.
Maybe next year…
The directions are to make these ornaments from the craft-weight aluminum foil, but I think they might actually be more nicely done as embroidery on felt or muslin.
Design by Margreet Akkerman.
[Taken from McCalls’s Christmas Make-It Ideas magazine, vol. VI, 1963]
For this project I’m using a Country Living Halloween book. It has lots of fall colors and pumpkins and things.
First I tore out a lot of pages. It was hard for me to do this step when I started making altered books, but the simple fact is that after all the embellishments are added, the book will be too thick and just wont’ close. Sometimes that may be the desired goal, but not this time.
The pages on the inside cover are orange with lighter spots of cats and jack-o-lanterns. Since this isn’t a Halloween book, I covered the pages by stamping a leaf pattern all over it.
The picture below shows the unstamped page (on the left) and then the stamped look (on the right).
Next, I use a glue stick to affix the pumpkins onto a piece of book page, then placed it onto the lower left-hand corner. The piece of book page had been used as a base when I was spraying glimmer mist onto something else. It left an interesting pattern and looked just right for the pumpkins. They were clipped from a Mary Englbreit Home Companion magazine.
This page featured instructions for making a Halloween scrapbook. I covered the felt cut-outs with a stamped image of old-fashioned ink pens. The background paper was from the time my sister (Fran) taught me how to use alcohol inks. The pens just seemed to complement the idea of the scrapbook.
It probably won’t be completed this year because I’ve learned that after putting something away for awhile, fresh ideas will come when I pick it back up at a later time.
Tomorrow I’ll post more photos of it.
Next, I took
This paper from a tablet didn’t seem to need anything else on the cover; the left page on the inside has a brown stamped coffee cup and I included a bookmark to match.
The right edge of the front has been roughly cut around the flower outlines. It would’ve added some color if I had affixed about a 2″ yellow edge on the inside, which would showcase the flowers a little better.
Here’s an example of an idea that just didn’t work out. This strip of pansy printed vellum looked good inside this card – until the fixative came loose. I used a glue stick and it just wasn’t permanent. Perhaps the peel-off double sided tape or glue dots would’ve been better. And it should’ve been narrower. This page is too cluttered and not enough room to write a message.
This stamped edge would be another good one to cut around the right side.